Saturday, April 3, 2010

Are you hungry? 你餓嗎?

Click photo to enlarge
This post is to make my family and friends back in America jealous.


I'm sitting down to eat dinner: A bowl of Sesame Oil Chicken (麻油雞 má yóu jī) and sticky rice (糯米飯 nuò mǐ fàn). The Sesame Oil Chicken is a soup loaded with--what else?--chicken and sesame oil, as well as ginger and spices. The sticky rice contains a slab of pork fat, mushroom, peanuts, and cilantro.

Before I came to Taiwan I probably would have read the above description and thought, "Eh, not jealous. Doesn't sound so good to me." Now, however, I crave food like this. I wonder how I'll handle the food withdrawals when and if I leave Taiwan.

My daughter Amanda will be visiting me this summer, and I plan on introducing her to as many kinds of foods as possible. I can't wait!

Oh yeah, I'm drinking an Australian merlot (2004 Yellowtail Reserve) with this meal. Don't know if it's a "proper" accompaniment, but I know I like it!

2 comments:

OsakaJack said...

Same here! When I first came here, I wouldn't eat 90% of the food but now there isn't much I haven't eaten. And my favorites would make my young nieces green. Heh!

Steve said...

LOL @ Jack. I've still never tried insects (I think I have to go to Thailand or Vietnam for that), but I'm willing to try!