Sunday, December 14, 2008

November outings 4 - Thanksgiving 感恩節


Other than being a topic for conversation with English students, Thanksgiving isn't anything special in Taiwan. So that Thursday I had planned to simply go home after work and eat a nondescript dinner of 雞排 (chicken cutlet) and rice. To my surprise, however, 邱 was waiting outside work for me, and we ended up going out to eat 火鍋 (huǒ guō), "hot pot."

Hot pot is sort of like Chinese fondu; each person adds to a pot of boiling broth various meats and vegetables of their choice. Note to my students: That's the singular, non gender-specific "their"; I refuse to write "his or her". Fortunately, 邱 showed me what I was supposed to do. For example, you go to the condiment bar and add various items to make your dipping sauce, then to that sauce you add an egg yolk, while the white gets thrown into the hot pot broth.

As always, click on the photos to enlarge.

Beef, lamb, and various sides and veggies, reading for cooking.Still in my work duds, enjoying my Asian Thanksgiving dinner.Dipping sauce: Includes 沙茶 (shā chá) peanut-fish paste, soy sauce, garlic, green onions)


Like the Italians and their pastas, there are several Chinese names for the various types of noodles, none of which I can ever remember.Another view of my Thanksgiving turkey dinner.

No comments: