Friday, February 11, 2011

Embryos, Insects, and Arachnids



Note: Vegans and members of PETA will probably want to skip this post.

So, it's my first night in Siem Reap, Cambodia, and my buddy Ryan takes me to Pub Street to try some local cuisine. While I'm eating my declicious pineapple-tomato-chicken soup dish, Ryan says something to the server in Cambodian. A few minutes later, the server comes back with two eggs, and I know what's in store: Balut.

Without further ado, here's a video of my first time eating what I previously vowed would never touch my lips.








After surviving a military attack I figured I could handle eating anything else that Ryan would suggest. So, a couple of nights later, I was introduced to fried insects. If anyone reading this can identify this bug, I'd really like to know what kind it was.










The next day we went to Phnom Penh. When our bus pulled over at a rest stop, we finally found what we had been craving for the past few days: Big, black spiders!





Hey, when in Rome...

1 comment:

E.Michael Liu said...

It seems you had a great time, but eating those big bugs??? i don't think i can do that lol.