Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Baracktoberfest


image borrowed from Baracktoberfest...is that ok?In the past week I've received two different emails rallying American Democrats in Taiwan. This indicates to me that people everywhere are fed up with this Administration. One of the event organizers even states, "With your help, I might one day be able to remove that Canadian Maple Leaf Patch I secretly sewed on my backpack for when I go traveling."

On September 27th there will be an Obama fundraising dinner in Taipei, at El Gallo Restaurant. The minimum ticket price is $2,500 NT ($80 US), which is a little rich for my blood, but I wish them much success.

Then, next month, the southern city of Kaohsiung will be hosting "Baracktoberfest." Its MasterCard-inspired tagline reads:

Cover: NT$250
Beer: NT$50
Getting your '08 Absentee Ballot in on time: Priceless
We'll do the paperwork while you drink the beer!

Now, this sounds like my kind of venue. Unfortunately, Kaohsiung is about 5-6 hours away (or 2.5 hours by high speed rail). If I didn't have to work that day, and if I wanted to spend the night there, I would go. But by the time I add in the cost of all that, I could probably just attend the Taipei fundraiser. Oh well, at least I'm going to vote.

No comments: